Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Implications of Eye Makeup Month on Lipstick

The thing about eye makeup month is that it has demanded I take the lipstick down a notch, lest I look like a streetwalker.  Not a moment too soon, Angelina showed how it's done on the December Vogue cover, combining a positively eye makeup month-worthy eye look with a muted petal-pink lip.  I was inspired to dig into my pink lipsticks and came up with Lancome Color Fever in Rock Icon Fuchsia.  Blotted on with a finger, it's the perfect petal-colored stain.   


Of course, the test of a great lipstick isn't how well it goes on -- most go on very nicely; that's their job -- but how well it wears off. After all, the act the lipstick will perform on your lips isn't "being freshly applied from the tube," it's "fading/disintegrating on your mouth."  No matter what they promise, all lipsticks fade; what determines their quality is how they fade.  Many bright lipsticks -- I'm talking to you, Chanel -- fade out of the center of the lip much faster than the borders, leaving wearers with an obscene little ring around their lips.  I'm thrilled to report that the Color Fever fades evenly over the whole lip.  This is how it looked on me after a half-day, including eating a bowl of yogurt and granola, a cup of coffee, a Christmas cookie, and a bowl of chili.

No comments:

Post a Comment