Wednesday, February 23, 2011

For Forgiveness of Sins: Break Glass, Pour Out Self

Last Sunday, I went back to Oakland City Church and took my family with me.  The kids lasted an impressive 45 minutes through the sermon, and then I took them to the nursery.  The grownup who was supposed to be on duty was out, and an awesomely competent substitute -- an ex-nanny named Donna -- was filling in.  I liked her immediately.   While the pastor's daughter fed  Chex to drooling toddlers and Liv and Cody milled around pulling out puzzles, Donna and I chatted about motherhood.  I mentioned how I've found it demands that you subvert your inner Martha (I'm guest posting on this topic on (in)Courage Monday!)  
Donna said it made her think of the alabaster jar (Luke 7:36-50).  "You know, when the disciples scold the woman for breaking that jar and spreading, like, $30,000 worth of perfume on Jesus' feet?  Because she could have given it to the poor? And he says 'Leave her alone; the poor will always be with you, but I won't?"

"Ooh! Very nice!" I told Cody as he pushed a bulldozer up to my foot.  Then, I turned back to Donna.  "Yeah," I said.  I wasn't quite sure where my new friend was going with this.

"All that extra stuff is like the poor.  The dishes will always be with you.  The laundry will always be with you.  Your to-do list will always be with you.  But these kids, they won't always be with you."

1 comment: